LIFT has design capabilities to assist Long Island companies by transforming their ideas into tangible objects or proof of concept prototypes, including electronic design. LIFT provides an interactive process using Lean Product Development, Lean Product Design, and Design for Six Sigma techniques. The program plan includes a consultation, an initial design concept and two opportunities for minor design changes.
- You will have the opportunity to view actual part/s in lieu of 2D, 3D drawings or as a solid model and photo renderings
- LIFT engineers will work with you to resolve design and manufacturing issues
New product development studies continue to show a strong relationship between early-stage market assessments and profitable new products. It is possible through early stage market assessments to make more informed decisions on further investment. LIFT's assessment covers:
- Technical Feasibility - Short overview of product idea by technical consultant (if functionality is a major issue) to estimate whether product will perform as intended.
- Competition Review - Assessment of current competition to review potential uniqueness of proposed product. Competition is uncovered through a search of on-line and print directories, databases, buyers guides, catalogs, and other resources indexed by product type and/or NAICS Codes, as well as through a preliminary patent search. We follow up by phone to a few selected companies with the most closely related products and patents for literature and product status.
- User Need Estimates - Brief interactions with industry contacts and analysis of published market studies to assist in estimating market size.
- Trends - Analysis and summary of relevant trends (e.g. industry, regulatory and/or demographic) accessed via trade association reports, published market studies and other sources as needed.
- Research Summary - A report to client summarizing all major elements with suggestions for next steps.
Material Analysis Services
LIFT and our Partner Facilities offers Scanning Electron Microscopy with x-ray spectroscopy specializing in x-ray mapping, spectra, line and spot analysis elements from Be to U. The equipment magnification is from 20x to 200,000x and higher, which is useful in the following applications:
- Failure Analysis
- Surface Morphology
- Elemental Analysis
- Film Thickness
- Particle/Fiber size
- Corrosion Analysis
- Bonding Analysis
- Porosity Analysis
Rapid Prototyping is the direct conversion of a 3D model into a solid, physical object without the aid of classic manufacturing tools. LIFT's Rapid Prototyping program is planned to create a physical model of the new product so that the client can demonstrate some product attributes for investors and /or determine the approximate cost to manufacture the product.
LIFT develops 3D models using the latest technologies: stereolithography and selective laser syntering which uses a layered file of the solid model to create a plastic part from the actual engineered design.
Benefits of Rapid Prototyping
- Within days, prototype parts can be made to validate the product design and manufacturability
- Inexpensive way of making a prototype copy
- Aesthetic and functional changes can be made before generating soft or hard tooling production
- An actual plastic prototype can be examined before investing in expensive molds for production
- Your client or investors can be shown a prototype part even before mold drawings have been generated
- Rapid turnaround of prototype production parts
LIFT's Product Development has been created to assist manufacturing companies in reducing their time-to-market from concept to first production piece using internal capabilities and regional partnerships. This uniquely poised to help the following:
- Small and medium-sized manufacturers with limited engineering resources
- Inventors and entrepreneurs by giving them access to high tech equipment and skilled engineering talent previously available only to large corporations